Wanted to share 3 tips for growing your business that you can implement starting right now:
1. Use an email list to send emails to your customers? Send late at night for best results
In everyday life, most people don’t want to be bothered late at night. But the opposite seems to be true when it comes to email. According to a Q4 2012 analysis by Experian CheetahMail of its North American clients’ email campaigns, emails sent late at night outperformed emails sent any other time of day.
Experian found that emails sent between 8pm and 12am generated higher open and click-thru rates, more transactions, larger orders, and greater revenue per email than emails sent during any other time of day—and by a significant margin.
2. SEO is Simply Not Enough For Your Business
Here are the facts about the subject:
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is NOT SEM (Search Engine Marketing or PPC). They are fundamentally different practices and strategies.
- In today’s world, you either have to spend a whole lot of time invested in a strong SEO strategy or you have to pay for what’s supposed to be the “free” sections. Not so free. Plus, Google changes their algorithm so frequently that it’s very challenging to keep up.
- At best, you can be relevant for up to 15 keywords per page of your web site. With Search Advertising (or PPC) you can be relevant for the hundreds, even thousands of ways someone could be searching for you (yes, even misspellings are important- think “plummer” vs “plumber” – in some markets the misspelled “plummer” is searched more)
- The sponsored links sections are instant and free to show up. You only pay per click.
Now this is not to come across as an SEO bash. In fact, I strongly encourage my clients to find a competent SEO strategist, and my company also offers an off-site SEO service that is in line with how Google rewards web sites with prominent organic rank over time (quality updated content, positive reputation and strong social signals).
Interestingly, Google also released a study last year highlighting the incremental increase paid search can have on those with prominent organic presence.
So in a nutshell, this estimates that if you’re in position 1 organically, you’ll get 50% more incremental visits with pay per click ads, 82% more visits if you’re in positions 2 -4 and 96% more visits if you are in position 5 or below.
If you want more great articles about the power of adding a smart paid search plan to your marketing strategy, check out these two posts:
3. Try this DIY tip to see which keywords your business is (or is not) showing up for when someone could be searching for you online
Step 1: Go to the Google Keyword tool and insert your URL and sample keywords related to your business:
Step 2: Download the list
Step 3: Plan your strategy. Okay now you have concrete ideas of how people can be searching for you using a search engine. Try some of these searches and see how relevant you are. Where do you rank? Where does your competition rank? How easy do you make it for people actively searching for your products/services to find you?
Step 4: Setup a PPC campaign and calculate your ROI. Now this is where it can get a little tricky as there are some key questions to ask first:
- What’s the area I want/need to target?
- How many searches are being done for my industry in my area?
- How much do I need to spend each month to be effective?
- What’s the average click-thru rate for my industry? (i.e. # of times your ad is clicked on from the times it is shown…which, again, is free- you pay only when they click)
- How many calls, contacts, sales will I make (this is nearly impossible to do on your own)
- What is my conversion rate (i.e. if I got 10 calls, how many do I generally turn into customers- 30%, 40%, 75%?)
Value Proposition: If the above sounds overwhelming, or you have had not so good results running PPC campaigns in the past, let’s set up a time to talk. There’s no obligation for us to meet, and I’m confident you will walk away with valuable insight on how you can better be monetizing your online presence.
If you are on Flipboard, be sure to check out my magazine “Business Builder”